>From the "new stable branch" tasks [0]:

Increase the default PBKDF2 iterations in
django.contrib.auth.hashers.PBKDF2PasswordHasher by about 20% (pick a round
number). Run the tests, and update the 3 failing hasher tests with the new
values. Make sure this gets noted in the release notes (see the 1.8 release
notes for an example).

To see the discussion about the reasoning, I'd suggest to search the
archives of the django-developers mailing list and/or the Django ticket
tracker -- that's what I'd do to answer your question.

This is the last topic I remember about it:
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-developers/Qab-hRG-SKs/discussion

[0]
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/howto-release-django/#new-stable-branch-tasks

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/d77ec718-2f7e-4227-bd4b-0e5a380837d0%40googlegroups.com.