On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 01:56:00PM +0100, Simone Federici wrote:
> Hi,
>
> from compositekey import db
>
> On my compositekey project the development is stopped on 1.5 django release.
> https://github.com/simone/django-compositekey
>
> The Django 1.6 release, with an huge ORM refactoring and a huge testing
> refactoring, let my work hard to maintains. What I understand after the 1.6
> release is that this fe<ture has to be inside the framework, not in an
> external library.
>
> As I know Michal Petrucha make a good job on GSoc 2011.
> However, I don't know when is in planning the composite key feature in the
> django release.
>

> best
> Simone

Hi Simone and Ramesh,

Unfortunately, at the moment, composite primary keys are still not
supported by Django. I have done a lot of work some years ago, but
ultimately, real life got in the way and I didn't find enough time and
energy to focus on this for a sufficiently long period of time to get
a patch of this magnitude over the finish line.

There have been a few other attempts over the years; the latest thread
from django-developers@ is fairly recent [1], but judging from the
lack of responses, there seems to be little progress on that front.

For the time being, it appears that your best bet is to alter your
database schema to include a surrogate key in each table – really,
it's the path of least resistance.

Cheers,

Michal

[1]: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-developers/wakEPFMPiyQ/DcXNfL4sCQAJ