No idea but it seems like you should update your requirements per that
project's readme: "Please note that django-zappa has been superceded by
Zappa <https://github.com/Miserlou/Zappa>, which includes all of the
django-zappa features and more!"

Even the latest version of django-zappa doesn't have a middleware anymore.
https://github.com/Miserlou/django-zappa/commit/424143cdfe4057184e22eab5f6134b01b8685728

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/4c62e75b-0d5e-4327-9d93-d3d79dcad3c9%40googlegroups.com.