I didn't use anything special, just print on queryset.query

qs1 = Blog.objects.filter(entry__headline__contains='Lennon',
entry__pub_date__year=2008)
qs2 = Blog.objects.filter(entry__headline__contains='Lennon').filter(
entry__pub_date__year=2008)

print qs1.query
print qs2.query

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/ddc7e8ad-d65c-42ae-8b0f-61bc62499765%40googlegroups.com.