On 18 Nov 2006, at 19:35, Jeremy Dunck wrote:

> This isn't a Django question, but indexes only work well when there's
> a large distribution of values.  If lots of your products are in that
> price range, you're still ordering by loads of randoms.  Try assigning
> (as a column value) a random integer to each product, index that
> column, and select product where random_value in (...10 randomly
> generated numbers).

Yes, the price index does have significantly fewer values than the id
index... lots of items are 9.99 for example...

I am trying to return ALL records (paged of course) so can't do an
WHERE random_number IN() because I want to ORDER BY that value, not
select from... if you see what I mean

thanks

tom