You may want to initiate  the .docx creation via a trigger in the post_save
function; see:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/ref/signals/#post-save

Also, I would move the "utility" code for creating the invoice number into
a separate function,
as its easier to test and (possibly) call from other parts of your app.

def create_invoice_number(doc_str):
    """Create a new invoice_number."""
    last_invoice =
Invoice.objects.filter(invoice_number__startswith=doc_str).\
        order_by('invoice_number').last()
    if last_invoice:
        last_invoice_num = last_invoice.invoice_number[-2:]
        new_invoice_num = int(last_invoice_num) + 1
        new_invoice_num = "%02d" % new_invoice_num
    else:
        new_invoice_num = '01'
    return new_invoice_num

Then save becomes:

    def save(self, *args, **kwargs):
        if not self.id:
            today = datetime.date.today()
            date_str = datetime.datetime.strftime(today, '%y%m%d')
            doc_str = 'IN'
            self.invoice_number = doc_str + date_str +

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/e04ce903-156b-44bc-af39-9672ffbf9d9e%40googlegroups.com.