On Aug 17, 2017 10:10 AM, "Alexander Joseph" <alexander.v.jos...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I'm pretty new to django and I've been having problems with
makemigrations/migrate and I wonder if Im doing things right.

I'm using MySQL backend and after reading in the documentation a little it
sounds like Postgresql might make migrating more painless. Usually my
problems stem from changing table fields, adding new tables/models, and
migrating both on my development server and my production server
(PythonAnywhere)

More than once I've had to drop my database, delete all my migrations, and
start over with initial migrations on the development server. This wont fly
for long on production though of course .. once I actually have users and
data.

I'm wondering if I should switch to postgresql or if theres any further
resources that you might know of that would help me out? Thanks

Switching to a different DBMS will probably not alleviate migration issues,
especially if your project is still in its infancy and your migrations are
all still auto-generated. The migration system was designed to abstract
away the differences between the supported DBMS' so that you as the
developer didn't need to worry about it. Ideally you would be able to
deploy the same set of migrations on any of the supported databases.

Many Django devs have a bias towards Postgres, but much effort is put
toward ensuring that MySQL is supported since that is the only option for
many developers on their hosting platform. Some operations require extra
work in the migrations, and are challenging to implement regardless of the
DB platform. This is likely what you are running into.

I highly doubt MySQL itself is the cause, but it's possible. I'd recommend
posting up some of the errors that you are getting so that the folks here
can help. Might be more beneficial than setting up Postgres and having the
same issues.

-James

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CA%2Be%2BciXA-iNG5cf-q7P9T-cVCjsw44zTgbmBJFM_qBe2c0zdQw%40mail.gmail.com.