Thanks Eduardo, I actually extended the User model by making an
AbstractBaseUser sub-class. I'm using is_active also but I guess I'm not
sure how to implement my flow for registering new users. I suppose I need
to extend the classes or models in django.contrib.auth.

I was also just looking at allauth which looks like its probably the way to
go, and it looks like its got a lot of awesome functionality related to
security too

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/001d2616-b667-48de-ab09-b00030fc2d1a%40googlegroups.com.