> The problem is that if I'm putting polls on every page of the blog,
> then I have to change each URL in the urlconf to optionally include a
> has_voted variable, right (since I'm returning people to their
> originating page via a redirect, not via the POST request itself)?
In this case, you can write a context_processor that could populate
all the templates of your site with the variable has_voted. Context
processor are almost a pleasure to write and extremely simple.

Concerning HTTP_REFERER, if I understand you well, it's bad behaviour
to use it? Because if it is, I will have to use, as you do now, a
hidden variable.