My site needs to display and edit Japanese text. I have a MySQL
database, with the content encoding set to 'utf-8'.

If I use raw SQL queries using MySQLdb, I am able to create, edit, and
display entries with Japanese text from within django without problems.
However, if I use the django models in my views, the Japanese text
comes out garbled. This also happens on the admin interface, even with
a very simple model with just one text field.

I would greatly appreciate some pointers on fixing this.

I know that the subject of utf-8 in django has come up, but I wasn't
able to find a solution in the existing threads. Apologies if I have
missed the answer somewhere.

Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom