Hello all,

I have the task of migrating a very old website from Django 1.7 to either
Django 1.11 or 2.0, depending on the effort.

My plan is to go from 1.7 --> 1.8 --> 1.9 -->1.10 --> 1.11, adapting the
codebase as I go.  It's been easy enough until I arrive at 1.9, and the
change in template-rendering in which "autoescape" defaults to "on".

Now a lot of my payload is arriving at the browser with my HTML tags
escaped.  For example,

    <button>       gets rendered as        &lt;button&gt;

I have no argument with the autoescape-on default setting.  But I am unsure
how to proceed, and how large the effort will be.  As background, I am a
seasoned back-end programmer and a lightweight in HTML and template issues.

I see these alternatives.  Are there any others?

   1. Get to the Template Engine object and set its autoescape attribute to
   "off".  This loses the protection that autoescape-on provides, restores the
   Django 1.8 behavior, and let me proceed with the smallest amount of effort.

   Is this the template engine I need?
"django.core.context_processors.request"
   And how do I get to the object?

   2. Visit all of my HTML files and put "{% autoescape off %}" everywhere.

   I put "{% autoescape off %}" in my base.html, and it partially solved
   the problem.  But it did not get everything.

   This is a medium amount of effort, and if I make a mistake the users
   will have a bad experience.

   3. Visit all of my code and all of my templates, carefully converting
   into the world of autoescape-on.

Thanks in advance,

  ---  Bill Torcaso

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/ada6d206-7daa-4c9f-a124-dab988909093%40googlegroups.com.