> > Talking through my hat?No, I think not -- I think that syntax
> > (``queryset.groupby(field).max()``)
> actually looks like the best proposal for aggregates I've seen thus far...

Sounds pretty good to me. Besides the usual min, max and such, I also
like:
queryset.groupby(field).stats()
which would return a tuple with (min, max, average, stddev) for the
specified field.

> I'm taking this to django-dev for more discussion; it'll get seen by more the
> right people there.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

Add "improving aggregate support" to the Django Sprint planning for
PyCon. I plan to participate and am willing to coordinate a team to do
that. Hopefully that will encourage people to spend some time on the
design ahead of time. I also promise to spend a day or two over the
holidays looking over the design proposals and adding my thoughts.