The postgres mailing list or IRC channel would generally be better, but
here's some numbers that I got from last year's OSCON in Portland, OR from
the Postgres geeks there.

For a 2Gb RAM machine, a good starting rule of thumb:
shared_buffers = 25000
work_mem = 16384
maintenance_work_mem = 16384
effective_cache_size = 82500

Those are just magic numbers I had in my notebook from that session, but
maybe they'll be useful for you.

-joe