> We tried Apache and it seemed slower. We're doing probably 1-2 million
> uniques today and the sessions are now killing the website :)
>
> This is on like 12 web servers now too.

It sounds like you must be I/O bound.  What's your CPU utilization at that load?

Suspecting session traffic to the DB makes sense; any write to the
request.session state bag forces serialization to the DB.  If you're
dirtying session often, that's a lot of traffic to the DB, and all on
one table.   I figure it's a matter of time until someone writes a
non-DB backend for sessions.  ;-)

Anyway, you could use tethereal to see what your web/db traffic looks
like, and similar tools (sorry, none at hand) to see if your pipe is
full or if your db is disk bound.

I dunno much about MySQL tuning, sorry.