Many thanks for the help on this. I have implemented the following:
models.py
start_date = models.DateField(null=True, blank=True,)
asap = models.BooleanField(default=False)

I have amend my manager so the order is right on the template.
The template is where I am going wrong.
This what I have started with in my template;
{% if 'job.asap' == 'True' %}
{% else %}

{% endif %}

The start dates are listed in the correct date order but any of those tasks
with an ASAP start show None as the start date in the template.
I know the answer is probably obvious, but for smoe raeson I cannot fathom
it out at the moment.
Again thanks for all the help

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/0b7f4d0c-534e-470e-ab35-be6d88acb6e8%40googlegroups.com.