I have recently added *npm* to my project in order to keep better track of
my js dependencies. Previously I have just been git cloning to my
static/vendor folder.

I've also added *gulp* , but have only got it doing hello world things
right now. It seems simple enough - it can watch files, minify assets,
compile Sass. Eventually I will probably switch to *Webpack*, but gulp is
simple and working for now. I don't want to use *django-compressor* or
*django-pipeline*.

------------------------------

So let's say I run npm install vis to pull in visjs. It gets added to
node_modulesand a record is added to package.json dependencies.

*A)* Do I reference vis/dist right where it is in node_mods in my template
scripts?

<script src="/node_modules/vis/dist/min-vis.js' %}"></script>
# right now it's <script src="{% static 'vendor/min-vis.js' %}"></script

*B)* Should gulp be listening for changes to package.json dependencies and
replicating vis/dist to static/vendor or static/js when it sees changes
there?

I keep seeing people talking about handling STATICFILE_DIRS when they talk
about npm and gulp. Right now mine is just set to the following. Will this
change?

STATIC_URL = '/static/'

STATICFILES_DIRS = (
    os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'static'),)