With all respect to the other answers, they don't answer what you are
asking.
The documentation has you interacting with the shell because django uses a
database. In order to interact with the database you have to have an
instance of your app running - in this case via the shell. In a future
section of the tutorial you will interact with the database via the web
view of your app.
There are ways to populate the database by way of code (you can look up
migrations if you would like) but the tutorial is really teaching the CRUD
paradigm (Create, Read, Update, Delete) by which a user will interact with
your app

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/f5f1f58a-ef73-46a4-9f9f-dfdabf8c26ed%40googlegroups.com.