On Dec 7, 4:50 pm, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>         <link rel="shortcut icon" href="{{ IMAGE_URL }}curse.ico" />
>         <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="{{ CSS_URL }}default.css"

Hey David,

i know this i'm going to tell is ugly... but you could still see if you
could save some time pn template parsing by benchmarking the two
solutions.

Here at <put BIG internet site here> we have a build script to perform
those variables sostitution that you have in the template so that
whatever we can fill in at build time the template doesn't need to
figure it out at runtime.

We have the concept of "channels" which group language AND/OR features
found in the site. We have a web tool to configure what features we
want on each channel and the config values are stored in the database
for the build script to pick them up when it builds the pages.

Now to be precise we use this stuff only on the ASP code (which is
still the majority) i would assume on the sites being rewritten in .NET
we will be using some kind of aggressive caching for these features,
including SQLDependency which in .NET works like this:

<%@ OutputCache Duration="600" SqlDependency="NorthwindDb:Products"
VaryByParam="ProductID" %>

It would be interesting if you could summarize your findings after you
solve these problems... i'm always interested in real-world stories
like this.

Lorenzo