On 23/09/2018 11:15 PM, 'David Brown' via Django users wrote:
I have a large django project built in 1.8 with about 14 apps and a large
amount of dependencies.

I already have a good idea about how I'm going to update the 2.7 code to 3.6 or
possibly just make it compatible with both, however, I'm not sure what is the
best practice and most efficient way to refactor/upgrade the django framework
to 2.0 from 1.8.

Bare in mind this thousands of lines of code so efficiency in terms of work is
crucial.

I suggest bringing the Django code only as far as 1.11 in Python 2.7. Django 1.11 is a LTS version.

Then I would advance the same code to Python 3.x and get that working as a separate ring-fenced project. You can do that away from production or using six and other dual-Python tricks you can also deploy 3.x code to production. I have been writing in 3.x and deploying in 2.7 for quite some time. One of these days I'll switch the production server to Python3 and drop 2.7.

Only with Django 1.11 and Python 3.x working properly in production will I advance to the next Django 2.x LTS version

Oh, and heaps of tests :)

hth

Mike

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!