Whether tis nobler to run separate processes or to handle all in one ...

Unfortunately, I want to use packages that work both ways, and have not
found a suitable workaround other than picking one style, whacking it up to
make it play nice and dumping the whole thing in my app directory.
 Depending the package and approach (derivation versus replacement) this
can also involve porting data.

My current dilemma involves mixing allauth (oath) (supports
site_by_request) and dbtemplates (requires SITE_ID).

Is there an 'accepted practice for handling this situation?

Certainly 'request_by_site' works when you set the site ID, but you loose
the 'site_by_request' behaviour (you always get SITE_ID), so the only
current 'no hack' solution is to down-shift to SITE_ID if ANY package needs
it, correct?

As for overlaying (modifying) pip packages, what is the generally accepted
workflow?  Python finds it if I copy / fork to my app directory. Then, I
guess, it is a matter of managing the git end of things by forking to the
app directory.  This will get interesting, as currently my upstream git is
CodeCommit, and I need the pull of that to CodePipeline to create something
that works ... but I digress.

Any pointers or other war stories are welcome.

Here is a proposal to django development to allow both types of apps to run
in harmony.  Please chime in here if you would like to see this change
added to Django itself.  I will gladly prepare the pull request.  There is
a ticket which is waiting for feedback.  It is kind of a 'meh' change or
feature addition, for sure, but not entirely useless.  If you think it
could help, a little support may put it over the edge, as it is also an
almost trivial change - the altered function is posted.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-developers/dk4KnILN68k

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback

Regards,

Ira

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/57bf041a-2907-4305-bd19-83494f6fda22%40googlegroups.com.