On 12/15/06, voltron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can I just extend the Django User model( class)  so that the
> Authentication middleware is also available for use? I have several
> other fields that I need for my site.
>
> Can I have 2 different types of user databases and still use Djangos
> Authentication middleware? A site that I´m developing maintains a lot
> of users, users that would never need roles, permissions or edit
> access.

I'm playing with authentication a little myself these days.  James
covers your first question very well at:

http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2006/06/06/django-tips-extending-user-model

As for the second, you should look into how Django allows multipe auth
backends.  See:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/authentication/#other-authentication-sources

You'll have to create a Django User instance based on your successful
authentication from another source, but once that's done, the auth
middleware continues to work as you'd expect it to.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge