> Something I forgot to mention earlier: If the files are not too big,
> consider generating the SHA-512 on the fly instead of storing it.
> Space-wise, it is the best possible optimization, obviously. And it
> frees you from having to ensure consistency between the file and the hash.

We're using MS SQL server...

But we're using the SHA-512 to validate file integrity through a multistage
process.  So, we need to have the SHA for certain steps of the process.
(eg. Ingress, Conversion, Output) so that we can validate it's the same
file we received, etc.

The issue I am having is that the sheer size of this database, is making
every byte count...  (40+ million records)
And disk space is a cost, which I am trying to work around...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/0e6af7e7-55aa-41c4-99a4-13c27c98f293%40googlegroups.com.