Not sure about whats the issue. You could do couple of things to understand
whats the root cause of the problem.
I know they are generic guidelines. Anyone couldnt be more specific than
this.

   1. Benchmark the time required to process each request. You could write
   a middleware to track this time.
   Attach starttime to each request object and read that at the time of
   returning the response.

   2. Try using the django debug toolbar to see how much time it is taking
   to execute the sql queries.
   There might be some room for improvement as most developers dont
   practice sql regularly.
   https://django-debug-toolbar.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

   3. Maybe try using a different database - PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.

   4. But if you have time for R&D, you could try using the different
   python implementation, it is said to be faster in many cases than cpython.
   It's not 100% compliant i.e. some packages might not work with pypy. So
   please do your research before walking down this road.
   https://pypy.org/

   5. Try using a different web server. If you are using Apache, try using
   nginx. Also use a different wsgi server. If you are using gunicorn, try
   with waitress or others.

Regards,
Chetan Ganji
+91-900-483-4183