Chad Whitacre wrote:
Simon,
Well, after that I have to tip my hand. :^)

I've started such a project, called Aspen:

   http://www.zetadev.com/software/aspen/

I've got a bit of a philosophical problem with Aspen - the fact that it
supports "five different development patterns". I'm interested in one
and one-only: the ability to serve a WSGI application. All the other
stuff that Aspen does is neat, but could be done instead using WSGI
middleware. If Aspen was architected as a simple
just-serves-up-WSGI-robustly server and an optional set of middleware
for the five different patterns it would be a much more attractive
option to me.

The catch is that it's got the CherryPy module at its core, so
I'm interested to hear more about the problems you had with that.
Did the process die? Did it spin? What exactly did your glue code
look like?

I wish I could give a more detailed answer, but I was asleep for most
of the time I was running CherryPy! Since my site was throwing "bad
gateway" errors I didn't spend much (any) time trying to figure out
what was wrong - I just threw mod_python/Apache back in there as
quickly as possible. This could well be a case of user error - you
certainly shouldn't be put off running CherryPy through its paces.

The process monitoring thing is a really big issue for me though. I
want tools which have the ability to recover from errors built-in as
much as possible. Process monitoring software is generally a royal pain
to set up - take a look at this tutorial:

http://pylonshq.com/project/pylonshq/wiki/DaemonTools

It's certainly not impossible to do, but if I can avoid all of that
sysadmin work then all the better.

As an aside, I've just started using monit for process monitoring and
it's been by far the least hassle to set up of all the options I looked
at. It's still not perfect but it's a pretty nice tool - I'm using it
to watch over nginx, mysql and apache at the moment:

http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/

I'm genuinely extremely interested in finding a robust pure-Python
application server that I can use for Django stuff - but at the moment
my priority is keeping my site up. Python needs an answer to Mongrel!