views.py
class *viewLit*(TemplateView):

def get(self, request, strategy=None):
circuit_id = self.request.query_params.get('circuitid', None)

urls.py

path('viewlit/', viewlit.as_view(), name='viewlit')

search_custom.html
{{ circuit.circuitid }}
</a>

''' this is an example using a query parameter
the url in urls.py does not need to include this parameter as a slug

the view is able to get the parameter by key name (the same way you get a
key from a dict)
the <a></a>tag is formatted to create the url ex (127.0.0.1/foo/) query
parameters are everything following the ?
so as you can do something like this
127.0.0.1/foo/?field1=a&field2=b&field3=c
I am not sure if this is the better than your solution but this should
work. As well you can add a redirect in viewlit to a different page if
circuit_id does not exist.
'''