At the end of the day, assuming you combine the Django "application server"
with a REST wrapper, you can build any level or type of service you could
want.

The crucial question is how you want to trade off the power of the ORM
against custom code? For example, let's say you wrapped every single table
(Django model) in a separate "nano"service... Then you could not use sql to
Jon or select anything and everything would be custom code.

OTOH, if you put everything in a single service, you can freely use the ORM
but loose whatever advantage you hope to fain from the modularity of soa.

Hth, Shaheed