Hello Tim,

I was given the same advice to convert to PostgreSQL because PostgreSQL is
Horizontally scalable.
I did some research:
Horizontal scaling means that you scale by adding more machines into your
pool of resources whereas Vertical scaling means that you scale by adding
more power (CPU, RAM) to an existing machine.
MySQL has many different storage engines:
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/storage-engines.html
<https://slack-redir.net/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdev.mysql.com%2Fdoc%2Frefman%2F8.0%2Fen%2Fstorage-engines.html>
The most popular storage engine among developers is InnoDB. For MySQL
version 8, it can go up to 64 Terabytes per server.
However, storage engine - ndb allows unlimited horizontal scaling by adding
nodes. Ndb stands for network db and used by number of telcos and gaming
publishers. Ndb is super fast because it is in memory database (similar to
SAP Hana); however, it requires more knowledge to setup and configure then
Innodb storage engine. Innodb storage engine is more popular among
development teams because it is more simple to configure and administer.
Both engines can handle transactions. In addition, both engines can work
with SQL data as well as NoSQL data i.e. you do not need to add additional
databases like Mongodb. For Big data, using Hadoop and MySQL, use Hadoop
Applier. MySQL team developed Analytical Engine which can do data analytics
in the cloud; however, I am not sure if this service will be officially
available in this coming release.

I hope this helps,
Happy Holiday to Everyone.
Leon