On 3/12/2019 2:10 am, Bill Freeman wrote:
You don't want sensitive customer financial (or medical) records on your site.  (You would need full time security staff, and probably private physical servers to do that safely.)

That is a very good point. All the major CPU manufacturers use multi-core technology and speculative execution nowadays and that is the gift that just keeps on giving. Spectre and Meltdown and more recently Zombieload make shared clouds insecure. Until CPUs can manage shared access to on-chip cache there is no end to this.

If you have a very high traffic site, then most providers, including Linode and certainly AWS, can offer geographic diversity of server location, which helps with responsiveness, and the ability to continue to conduct business if a natural disaster takes one of the provider's server farms off line for a while.

I have a possibly interesting experience here. One of my production servers is hosted on Digital Ocean in their Singapore data centre. The staging server is in Australia. Both run identical software. Part of it fetches chemical data from public databases all around the world. From Australia it works well. From Singapore, data from the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) and eChemPortal (OECD) cannot be retrieved.

I haven't worked out how to diagnose this yet. I'm just figuring out how to document it for my users in a way which doesn't make me look foolish. Also, I'm aware of the self-healing properties of the internet so I'm not in too much of a hurry to jump up and down. But I'm glad of an opportunity to vent about it here.

Cheers

Mike