Thank you Mike & Jason.

I agree - messing around with the id is not the brightest idea I've ever
conceived.
However, the Django 3 documentation is somewhat mute on auto-incrementing, but
I'll continue searching Stack & Mozilla.  Have a great evening (I am GMT+2).
Regards,

Bruckner de Villiers
083 625 1086

On 2020/02/09, 08:28, "Mike Dewhirst" <django-users@googlegroups.com on behalf
of mi...@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:

    On 9/02/2020 3:54 am, Bruckner de Villiers wrote:

    > Mike,
    >
    > I tried id = model.AutoField(verbose_name=”Ticket #”).  Migrate didn’t
    > like it – can’t have duplicate primaries.  I suspect this is because
    > the Bug model already exists.
    >
    > What I am trying to achieve is an auto-increment field whereby every
    > time a user logs a bug/suggestion/comment it writes a unique ticket
    > number in the background, which is used as a reference for subsequent
    > actions like Fixed, Close, WiP, etc.  and as a ForeignKey in the
    > Comment model.   I couldn’t find anything meaningful for this
    > functionality and so thought that the ‘id’ is already fit for purpose,
    > but merely requires an explanatory field text.

    I think Jason is correct. The id field belongs to the DBMS and
    theoretically should never carry any human or real world meaning.

    You would be better having an auto-incrementing field called "ticket" or
    similar

    If you really must use the id field you can supply the model with your
    own id field (that's covered somewhere in the docs) with whatever name
    suits.

    Cheers

    Mike

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/5e3e9fe6.1c69fb81.7cda5.a2fdSMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING%40gmr-mx.google.com