If it's a development server and not production, you can add something like
this to your urls.py:

from django.conf import settings as django_settings
from django.conf.urls.static import static

if (django_settings.DEBUG):
    urlpatterns = static(prefix=django_settings.MEDIA_URL,
document_root=django_settings.MEDIA_ROOT) + urlpatterns
אורי
u...@speedy.net