On 1/4/07, stoKes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:10 pm, "Jorge Gajon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> On 1/3/07, stoKes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > base.html
> > {% showmenu %}
> >             {% for service in services %}
> >                 <li><a href="/toolbox/{{ service.name }}/">{{
> > service.name }}</a></li>
> >             {% endfor %}
>
> > but receiving this error:
>
> > Exception Type:         TemplateSyntaxError
> > Exception Value:        Invalid block tag: 'showmenu'Try putting {% load
showmenu %} before the call to the tag, for example:

>     {% load showmenu %}
>     {% showmenu %}
>     {% for service in services %}
>     {% endfor %}
>
> The {% load %} tag loads a .py file that contains your custom tags. In
> this case it will try to load the file
> /project/templatetags/showmenu.py
>
> If the .py file with your custom tags had a different name, for
> example "mytags.py" then you would need to type a {% load mytags %} in
> your template before using your custom tags.

Hey Jorge,

I had tried that, however, this is the error I got :

Exception Type:         TemplateSyntaxError
Exception Value:        'showmenu' is not a valid tag library: Could not load
template library from django.templatetags.showmenu, No module named
showmenu

i've created other templatetags before that loaded perfectly if i did
it for a certain app, for example,

/project/myapp/templatetags/tag.py

but this is more of a global template tag so im not sure if my
procedure in doing this is correct or not

Oh I didn't noticed that little detail. But no, you can't have a
"global" templatetag, your custom tags must be inside the
'templatetags' folder inside your app. This is what the documentation
says about it:

 """The {% load %} tag looks at your INSTALLED_APPS setting and only
allows the loading of template libraries within installed Django apps.
This is a security feature: It allows you to host Python code for many
template libraries on a single computer without enabling access to all
of them for every Django installation.

If you write a template library that isn't tied to any particular
models/views, it's perfectly OK to have a Django app package that only
contains a templatetags package."""

Hope it helps

Regards,
Jorge