On 4/15/20 7:24 PM, Gavin Wiener wrote:
Hey Tim
Hello Gavin: Thank you for your prompt reply.

The bigger question is, what are you trying to achieve?

I gotta know. I'm a retired programmer with 19 years doing CGI. Wrote and implemented my own framework. First in C, than C++ then rebol, then python.

I really want to know what is going on "under the hood" but I also wish to know why those examples, taken from documentation do not work.

I'm building a website with django as an alternative to the original in Drupal because I want fine-grained control.

I hope that answers your question.

With the DetailView, fetching the object with the primary key is already handled for you, as you've seen the object will already be available in the template.

This website is very useful to know which functions are implemented in a class-based view, and which variables are available.

http://ccbv.co.uk/

Thanks for the link. Will study it after finishing my coffee.