Is it safe to keep Django template strings inside a TextField of a Django
model and allow users with staff privileges to edit them?

I'm asking because I'm unsure how safe/dangerous this could be. Would it be
possible to abuse a built-in templatetag to execute arbitrary code on the
server?

What are possible attack scenarios? XSS for sure, but that's always
possible to whom you allow to publish HTML on their servers.