If nobody want's to champion the code, I can volunteer ~3-5 hours a
week to work on this stuff.  My own team needs schema evolution in the
long run anyway - so it's well worth my time to make sure this
eventually gets back to trunk.

I can devote about the same time to it perhaps a bit more in a few
weeks.

I have done schema migration before although not in python. My company
produced a development environment product for mobile computing in 1996
that supported arbitrary schema changes including versioning, and
automatic migration from development to test and production systems.

Our environment was a bit like Django in that we had a separate model
which was semantically richer and allowed us to automatically handle
99% of the database interactions (although in a GUI app).

I am not an expert on all the different issues among different
databases but I am familiar with many of them at least as they existed
a few years back.

I have also worked on the internals for SQL database parsers,
optimizers, indexing, and have played with the internals of PostgreSQL
a bit.

I don't know Django very well yet so I'll probably confine myself to
testing and bug fixing at first until I come up to speed.

- Curtis