On 1/6/07, paulh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The subject is a phrase cut from one of the Django tutorials. In this
tutorial the authors say that after successfully processing POST data
you should return an HttpResponseRedirect and that this will prevent
the user using the back button and taking the action again. I have
messed around with the newforms library a bit, but I can't figure out
quite how to achieve the effect described above whereby the user is
denied use of the back button.

You appear to have misunderstood the intent here (or the tutorial
isn't clear enough). The redirect isn't there to _deny_ access to the
back button; the redirect pushes the user to another page, so if they
_do_ hit the back button, what is displayed is the original HTTP GET
that returned the form, not the HTTP POST that submitted the form
data. As a result, the user can use their browser history without
accidentally resubmitting old form data.

If the last page in the browser history was obtained in response to a
HTTP POST, pressing back in the browser causes the POST to be
resubmitted, which results in the user resubmitting