I'm not sure why you're getting an exception.  I know the import mechanism
in Python 2 was a bit different, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or if
Django's import mechanism isn't finding your settings file.

I don't know if you have tried this, but I saw a blog post on using
multiple settings files.  Maybe it will help:
https://simpleisbetterthancomplex.com/tips/2017/07/03/django-tip-20-working-with-multiple-settings-modules.html

I hope this helps!

-Jorge