I also think a static site generator might make more sense especially if
the content is only really being read and edited. i.e. no dynamic parts
(not including client side stuff like search). It’s also much easier to
maintain and deploy IMHO.

Don’t know all your requirements but it also sounds like you don’t really
need a database but rather a content management system for easily writing /
editing the documentation.

Useful links

https://www.staticgen.com
https://headlesscms.org