I was going to suggest looking at a Java-based system called Jasper
reports, which we got into because we found ourselves spending too much
time writing ReportLab scripts to generate PDFs (Jasper has a wysiwyg
interface and connects to databases directly).

However, seeing Chris' email reminded me of RML, which was designed by
the ReportLab guys and *much* easier to use than ReportLab itself. We
looked into that and were very interested, but the licencing fee was
too high for us (the RL guys do a lot of work for finance houses, and
they have plenty of cash).

I don't think TinyRML is as powerful as RML, but you can't beat the
price!

Conrad, I think you should definitely look at Chris' solution - we've
done a *lot* of work in ReportLab and as Kenneth says, it's not
trivial, whereas Chris has made it all look easy ;) I particularly like
the fact that the PDF templates (in RML format) are django templates -
it reinforces the idea that django can do stuff other than HTML.

Cheers,
Tone