I place my templates inside the "app_name/templates/app_name"
directory. It seems template search path look for the template on this
directory first. So, to decouple the app, templates should be inside it
I think.
But what would happen in this case if two sites use very different
templates for the same app?

I use the "project/templates/app_name" directory to avoid the above problem.

I actually completely decouple my apps from my projects:
/www/
   /app1/
   /app2/
   /app3/
   /project1/
   /project2/

project 1 can use app1 and app2, and project 2 can use app1 and app3.
Of course, this implies adding /www/ to the Python path in the
manage.py file to avoid errors.