I think you have a small error in your example.  Should be:

class Thing(models.Model):
   #element = models.ForeignKey(Thing)
   element = models.ForeignKey(Element)
   name = models.CharField(maxlength=100)

Also I figured out my problem (I think).  I was passing ForeignKey
editable=False, apparently this was preventing the POSTed value from
being used.

So I guess I was misunderstanding the point of editable being False.
My hope was to set this value on create and have it be unchangeable
after that.  How do you even set the value of a column that has
editable=False?  In otherwords what is this parameter for?