Interesting, is there a way to peek for an existing record instead of
calling get to see whether the record exists in the database? I'm thinking
of making this snippet of code a bit more efficient

try:
   obj = Hackathon.objects.get(**each_dict)
except Hackathon.DoesNotExist:
   obj = Hackathon(**each_dict)
   obj.save()