Ok, I could not reproduce the problem intentionally, but it is back:

I have a form that is incomplete. Error messages are displayed
correctly. However, if I set LANGUAGE_CODE to 'sv-se' I get the
following (no other code is altered):

UnicodeEncodeError at /gs/admin/pages/create/
'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in position 31: ordinal
not in range(128)
Request Method:         POST
Request URL:    http://127.0.0.1:8000/gs/admin/pages/create/
Exception Type:         UnicodeEncodeError
Exception Value:        'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in
position 31: ordinal not in range(128)
Exception Location:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/django/newforms/forms.py
in _html_output, line 101
Template error

In template
/Users/gs/Sites/pages/../pages/admin/templates/admin/pages/page-form.html,
error at line 15
Caught an exception while rendering: 'ascii' codec can't encode
character u'\xe4' in position 31: ordinal not in range(128)
5       <div id="pages">
6
7       <p><a href="/{{ user }}/admin/pages/">&laquo; Gå tillbaka till
överblick</a></p>
8
9
10      {% if page_id %}
11      <form method="POST" action="/{{ user }}/admin/pages/edit/{{ page_id
}}/">
12      {% else %}
13      <form method="POST" action="/{{ user }}/admin/pages/create/">
14      {% endif %}
15      {{ form.as_p }}
16      <input type="submit" value="{% trans "Create" %}">
17      </form>
18      </div>
19      {% endblock %}