I have a problem that is causing me some grief and I can't seem to
found a reason for it. I'm relatively new to Django and Python so it is
likely to be something simple.

I have a function that displays a form and some data from a table. If
the form data is correct, it generates some new lines of data in the
table and displays another page. However, I get a Syntax error from my
render_to_response line in the function. Code is as follows in View.py:

def codeview(request):
    manipulator = CodeViewManipulator()
    if request.method == 'POST':
        new_data = request.POST.copy()
        errors = manipulator.get_validation_errors(new_data)
        if not errors:
                <code to create data>
                return HttpResponseRedirect("/hive/codeoutput/")
    else:
        errors = new_data = {}
    code_list=CodeTest.objects.all()
    return render_to_response('codeview.html', {'code_list':code_list})

This always generates a Django Syntax Error on the return
render_to_response line. I can define a new view with just the last two
lines and it works fine. The function also runs if I substitute a
return HttpResponse line instead of the render_to_response, but then it
won't display my html template page.

Is there some ruling preventing me from using render_to_response in
this way?

Any advice welcome - it's driving me crazy!