About a year ago, there had been a discussion on a similar topic:
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/
006108ff1b23c36c

But most of the important points were left unanswered. The topic is
expired, so I am starting a new one.

I think it is very important to be able to override the way the slug
fields are generated. Dropping a non-ascii character should be done
only if the character could not be mapped to its ascii cousin (ie. é -
> e), both for generating more readable slugs and for reducing the
frequency duplicate slugs.

But, I couldn't find where and how the slug fields are generated in
the Django code.

Thanks for any comments...
omat