There's some conceptual thing I'm apparently just not getting. I
attempted to follow Doug's advice and came up with:

class LastSeen (object):
    """Middleware that adds various objects to thread local storage
from the request object."""
    def process_request(self, request):
        now = datetime.datetime.now()
        try:
            last_request = request.session['last_request']
            # don't update it too often, every 4 hours should be ok
             if (now - last_request).seconds > (60 * 60 *4):
                    request.session['last_seen'] = last_request
                    request.session['last_request'] = now
        except KeyError:
            request.session['last_request']  =
datetime.datetime.now()
             request.session['last_seen'] = datetime.datetime.now()
        except TypeError:
            request.session['last_request']  =
datetime.datetime.now()
             request.session['last_seen'] = datetime.datetime.now()

Which appears to do the exact same thing I was doing before.