On Feb 4, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Ramiro Morales wrote:

> On 2/4/07, Tom Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a model that looks roughly like this...
>>
>> class Client(models.Model):
>>      name = models.CharField(maxlength=200, default='')
>>
>> class Competitor(models.Model):
>>      client = models.ForeignKey(Client)
>>      site = models.ForeignKey(Site)
>>
>> class Site(models.Model):
>>      client = models.ForeignKey(Client)
>>      pagerank =  models.IntegerField(default=0)
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> ... I get this...
>>
>>>   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/
>>> python2.4/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 35, in
>>> defaulterrorhandler
>>>     raise errorclass, errorvalue
>>> OperationalError: (1054, "Unknown column 'site.pagerank' in 'order
>>> clause'")
>>

> See tickets #2210 and 2076 where a patch is proposed to solve the
> problem.

I've also found that having a default ordering on your model can work
without having to specify it. So in your site model you'd have

class Meta:
     ordering = ('pagerank',)

Then in your query, if you order by your site foreign key, you get
that fk's default ordering, no need to specify the pagerank in the
query.

Don