Hi Ross,

The empty Q is the same thing as nothing, no filter.

I need to filter the query according to the options the user checks on
the form.

So this line:

(form.data.get('my') and Q(friends_set=request.user.id) or Q())

means:
(if checkbox 'my' is checked filter using
(friends_set=request.user.id) or don't filter)

It seems complex at first, but is easier to deal with all options:
- 'my': Q(friends_set=request.user.id)
- 'who': Q(profile__friends=request.user.id)
- 'my' + 'who': Q(friends_set=request.user.id) |
Q(profile__friends=request.user.id)

I hope this helps...

Best regards,
Enrico