On 2/9/07, Henrik Lied <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I was wondering if there's an easy way to insert a lot of dummy
> content into a couple of models. Have anyone written something that
> does this?

Yes  - it's not quite in Django yet, but it will be soon (before v1.0).

Its the fixtures framework. A patch containing the code is attached to
ticket #2333; You may also need to apply the patches from tickets
#3390 and #2720 depending on the complexity of your data model and
your database backend.

The original intent was to allow developers to write unit tests, and
have data in the database during that test; however, it can also be
used to put a whole lot of initial data into the database.

It's not documented yet, but the modeltest that is part of ticket
#2333 should give you an example of how to use the fixtures framework
programatically. From the command line, its as simple as:
- creating a fixtures directory in your application directory
- putting mydata.json in the fixtures directory
- filling mydata.json with intialization data
- running ./manage.py loaddata mydata

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)