ScottB schreef:
> I think you need to pass the actual values (i.e. the rooms), rather
> than a function that returns them.  Also 'id_in' needs two
> underscores.  So maybe:
>
> limit_choices_to = {'id__in': get_rooms()}
>
> Scott

Indeed, i had already found out there was an underscore short.
I tried 'id__in': get_rooms() and that won't work as it doesn't know
Patient when the function is called. That's why you have to use
get_rooms instead of get_rooms. The error is "global name 'Patient' is
not defined".

So it seems like this method is not going to work after all.
Are there any other ways to get a limited list (keeping in mind i'm not
using newforms) for a ForeignKey field?

I tried using this in my view:
    room_choices = [(room.id, str(room)) for room in Room.objects.filter() ]
    room_choices.sort()
    room_choices.insert(0,BLANK_CHOICE_DASH[0]) # [('','---------')]

Since i don't want to redesign the whole form, i change the current
field entry. I first look up the index of the field:
    index = 0
    for field in fields:
        if ( field.field_name == "room" ): break
        index+=1
    return index

Then i replace that index with my version:
fields[index] = forms.SelectField(field_name="room", choices = room_choices)

Which indeed gives me a limited list but when you change the data of a
patient, the room he's in isn't selected. This something i still need to
change as the query leaves out the room/bed of the currently selected
patient too.
But even when i just select all rooms, the room the patient is in isn't
selected. Any idea how you can "select" a choice in the formfield?

Or any less cumbersome method to limit the choices?

Thanks,
Benedict