> Does anybody have any experience with this and can give war-stories about
> good or bad ways to do this?

I just finished updating an aggregate-rich view and I think it is
better to use SQL than messing with filters for most complex things.
My basic rule of thumb is to use python functions to aggregate for
less than 20 expected rows & SQL beyond that. You can sometimes figure
the filter code it to work with the other fields, where, select etc
but it is not worth it - you end up with something that is unreadable.
The point is not to avoid writing all SQL, it is just to make it
simpler in most cases and to fit your performance requirements. Do try
to keep it organized/consistent though, if you can.

The absolute best thing you can do is write a good test suite. Since
the aggregate functions are trickier it will pick up on nuances you
might miss  with schema changes & should make your testing a little
quicker. Also it gives you a performance benchmark, which I've used to
change designs on some views.

HTH,
 -rob